Serves: 4 people
Overall Prep time: 5 mins
Overall: Cooking time: 20-30 mins
400g yellow lentils
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp Cumin
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
- Firstly thoroughly wash your lentils and set aside
- Take out a pot and place on the hob.
- Add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Let the oil heat on a medium heat.
- Once hot add chopped onions, cook till opaque.
- Add your lentils and the cumin and pinch of salt. Stir altogether till fully combined.
- Add boiling water about an inch over your lentils and leave to boil on a medium to high heat.
- It is very important to keep an eye on the lentils as they absorb water very quickly.
- Once you see they have been absorbed they should look a lot more yellowish, add more boiling water, about a cup.
- Stir and leave again till you see the water has been absorbed further.
- Keep adding water no more than 1/2 cup at a time when you see water being absorbed.
- Once the lentils begin looking more dissolved and broken down and the water has thickened due to the lentils your almost done, leave on the hob a further few minutes, observing it often.
- This is the bit where you come in. Depending on whether you like it smooth or not, make the decision to blend with a handheld or ordinary blender.
- Once served, top with a pinch of cumin and a drizzle of lemon.
- It’s ready to eat.