Serves: 8 people
Overall prep time: 15 mins
Overall cooking time: 35-45 mins
Its one of those things you have to love, on the cold winter nights with a glass of warm milk or on those hot summer days with a glass of cold milk, either way this cake works! The great thing about it, is it doesn’t require hours of prep or a medical degree for it to come out amazing, it just needs that inner passion and voila its ready..
Who doesn’t love Pineapple’s, especially when they caramelise and get all sticky, YES! its what we wanted too, the way this cake comes together is amazing, its light, its fluffy and its so aesthetically appealing. Its perfect on a table spread or on your coffee table when guests come over, its a cake fit for all purposes.
Ingredients for the topping:
1 fresh pineapple
50 grams softened butter
50 grams light soft brown sugar
Ingredients for cake:
100 grams golden caster sugar
100 grams self-raising flour
100 grams softened butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by heating the oven to 180 degrees celsius (gas mark 4).
- Then for the topping (which you are going to lay down on the bottom of the tin first
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until it has become a creamy consistency.
- On the base of the cake tin and 3 quarters of the way up the tin spread the butter and sugar mixture and then arrange the chunks of pineapple on the surface of the whole base. (This is going to become a sticky caramel consistency once in the oven.
- In another large bowl put all the ingredients from the cake ingredients list in a bowl and using an electric hand whisk or an ordinary whisk, beat to a soft consistency.
- Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it’s level (and so it cooks evenly).
- Bake for 25-35 mins, use a skewer to check, when it comes out of the tin clean this means its done.
- Leave to stand for 10 mins, then turn out onto a plate.
- Dig in!