Serves: 4 people
Overall prep time: 40 mins
Overall Cooking time: 45-55 mins
Ingredients for the pastry:
180g unsalted butter at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
110g caster sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla essence
280g plain flour
Ingredients for the filling:
4 large eggs
¾ cup Caster Sugar
4 limes at room temp
1 tbsp Key Lime Zest
Pinch of Salt
4 tbsp Unsalted Butter room temp
Small handful of berries of your choice
Method for crusts:
- Start by preheating the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4.
- In the bowl, mix the butter and caster sugar together until they are combined. Use a hand electric whisk, electric mixer or ordinary whisk.
- Add the vanilla, mix it in.
- In another medium sized bowl, sift together the plain flour and salt, then add them to the butter and caster sugar mixture.
- Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with plain flour and shape into a flat disk. Take small clumps of the dough and roll them all out into small disks.
- Press the dough into your mini pie tins, making sure that the finished edge is flat. Chill in refrigerator until firm.
- Use small circles of foil with one side buttered to fit inside the mini pastries, place it buttered side down inside the pastry. and fill with a few beans or rice (this is so there is a weight on them and they stay in shape while cooking)
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once out of the oven remove the foil and beans, prick the tart all over with a fork or a skewer and bake in the oven again for 20 to 25 minutes more, or until lightly browned/ golden in colour.
- Allow cooling to room temperature.
Method for the filling:
- While the pastry cools, prepare the filling.
- Remove the zest of 4 limes with a peeler or zester.
- Squeeze the limes to make 110ml of juice and set the juice aside.
- Put the zest in a food processor. Add the caster sugar and process for a few minutes, until the zest is very finely minced
- In a bowl, cream the butter with the caster sugar and lime zest.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time mixing it in each time, and then add the lime juice and salt. Mix until combined. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened (this should take about 10 minutes) the lime curd will thicken at simmer level. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Let the curd cool until warm, Fill each tart shell with the warm curd and allow to sit at room temperature. once it is set, you can serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.