Serves: 4 people
Overall prep time: 10 mins
Overall cooking time: 45 mins
250g green lentils (no need to pre-soak just wash them thoroughly)
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp chopped mint
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp white pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp veg oil
- Prepare the lentils, wash them in a sieve and set aside.
- Take out a large pot, add the vegetable oil and place on the hob medium heat, let it heat up and then add the onions. Cook the onions until soft and opaque in colour.
- Then add the cumin, salt, pepper, coriander, mint and parsley and mix to combine.
- Add the lentils, mix again and then add water till 2 inches over the lentils.
- Let them cook, the lentils will absorb some of the water, just keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t dry out leading it to burn.
- I don’t let the level of water become less than an inch over the lentils, add small bits of water if at a time if it does while cooking.
- After 40 mins has passed check how well the lentils have cooked.
- They should have the slightest bite to them.
- Using a hand blender, or an ordinary blender blend until smooth.
- Return back to the same pot you were using, stir on a low heat on the hob for a couple of mins.
- Ready to serve.